Robert Blomfield, Kauai Franchisee Success Story
Franchisee name: Robert Blomfield
Franchise name: Kauai
Location of franchise: 12 stores in Durban, owned with Don Hill
1. Why did you go down the franchise route?
Major career and skill set change therefore wanted a proven business model.
2. Why did you choose your franchise?
Wanted a business involving food and predicted that healthy eating was the future. I had followed the Kauai brand since its inception and liked it as it offered something new and innovative in the food industry.
3. What did you do before taking up a franchise?
I farmed livestock
4. How did you raise the finance?
Through the sale of my previous business and through a loan from the bank.
5. What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
I underwent an online aptitude test and a practical assessment and was trained for 2 months before opening my first store. My staff was trained by the franchisor at an existing facility. Training of staff and myself is on-going.
6. What is a typical day for you as a franchisee?
I own multiple stores so I try and spend some time in each store observing and meeting and motivating my staff. I check sales performance, banking, and other KPI’s. I pay suppliers, contractors.
7. What challenges have you faced?
Educating consumers about healthy eating. Choosing the incorrect locations to open a store has been a challenge.
8. Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
Yes – for the better. Using a proven business system allows you as an owner to spend more time perfecting the things that matter and not having to worry about setting pricing, national marketing campaigns or supply chain management. You pay a fee for this but it is known up front. A franchise business can work for you all the time.
9. What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
It always costs more than you expect and you must have funds to live off while you attract your first customers. This may take months or even over a year. Go into it with eyes wide open
10. What are your plans for the future?
To consolidate my debt and to look for more opportunities for investment. To ensure my staff grow with my business and benefit from its success too by increasing their skill set.
11. Would you do it again?