Rashal Patel – Maxi’s Northmead Mall
Name: Rashal (and younger brother Chand Patel)
Franchise name: Maxis
Location of franchise: Northmead Mall
1. Why did you go down the franchise route?
Ever since I was in school I’ve always had big dreams of running a successful business
2. Why did you choose your franchise?
It was the one business that caught my eye when I was shopping around for a potential franchise
3. What did you do before taking up a franchise?
I used to be in the vending machine industry which my dad still runs and has been successful for the past 8 years
4. How did you raise the finance?
I had my parents back me up on this one and with some help from FNB
5. What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
When I bought the business 2years ago I went through the full training course and to date, if I need any other further training done for either myself or new staff the franchisor is always willing to help.
6. What is a typical day for you as a franchisee?
Wake up, traffic work then sleep. Just Joking…. Well, being the franchisee is tough, having really early mornings and working till late in the day, always making sure things are done correctly and stock levels are sufficient, and not to forget keeping the customers happy at all times
7. What challenges have you faced?
Since I’ve been in the industry for 2 years, I now know most of the ins and outs of the business. Having to train a complete new set of staff members was challenging as well as the 1st few days of opening had some hiccups but now everyone is settled in.
8. Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
There is always one thing I strive to have, “work is work, home is home” so I still have my social life with friends and family, but it has decreased the amount of time I have with them.
9. What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
It’s not as easy as a lot of people think, the food industry is really difficult, especially if it’s your 1st franchise store that you are going to buy.
10. What are your plans for the future?
Once I find some more spare time on my hands I would like to open up a 2nd franchise store and expand my business
11. Would you do it again?
Yes I would, something that I grew to love and enjoy through the years.