A Proud New Battery Clinic Franchisee
Name: Anthony Moss
Location: Western Cape
Franchise: Battery Clinic
Why did you go down the franchise route? And why did you choose your franchise?
After 13 years in the office in the automotive industry I decided that I’d like to own my own business. Owning a franchise seemed like the best choice as it reduced some – not all – of the risks, offers a familiar brand name to build on and provides support with marketing and aspects. I chose Battery Clinic because I was looking for a franchise that could survive in even the toughest of economic climates as it specialises in quality reconditioned batteries, and because car batteries are necessities rather than luxuries.
What did you do before taking up a franchise?
I worked in the automotive industry in an office for 13 years.
What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
I received a two week training course in Johannesburg and then a week in-store.
Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
Yes it has, not only from a financial point of view but also in terms of my family life.
What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
- Research the concept
- Make sure you and your franchisor share similar values
- You should also have a similar vision and goals not only for your franchise but also for the group
- Franchising can be very rewarding, but can also be frustrating if you and your franchisor are heading in different directions
- Remember, each industry has its own challenges, it’s not going to be all smooth sailing, but if you’re committed you can make it work
- Franchising provides a recipe, but you have to follow it to be successful
- Consider how the time away from your family will impact them and yourself
- For me, nothing beats being 100% involved in my business, so being an owner-operator was the only way to go.
What are your plans for the future?
I plan to become a multi-unit franchise holder down the line. I am still young, however, and plan to make this first franchise profitable enough to support the financing of my second and third franchises
Would you do it again?