Philemon Shiburi, Doves Franchisee, Mokopane
Name: Philemon Fanyane Shiburi
Franchise name: Doves Franchise
Location of franchise: 41 Pretorius street, Mokopane
1. Why did you go down the franchise route?
I ran many projects in Numsa and the investment company and never failed and I had confidence that this one will also succeed
2. Why did you choose your franchise?
It is well situated in the area where I have strong support and most of my friends and families live
3. What did you do before taking up a franchise?
I scanded the market and realised that Doves was not marketed in the African community. Accessed the competitors and realised that I can outcompete them. Most of their clients are former Doves clients and it was easy to lure them back to Doves.
4. How did you raise the finance?
This is more difficult but one has to use all the contacts within the financial markets but also had to deploy retirement funds.
5. What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
The franchiser organised training with one franchising training institution which is ongoing and they are doing a fine job in making me understand the business
6. What is a typical day for you as a franchisee?
Being in the villages meeting the Chiefs and the Indunas. That gives one a platform to access the community and leaders of burial societies. Organising meetings with community members and organizations is crucial on a daily basis.
7. Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
Of course yes, everyday I wake up with energy wanting to go out and help communities to understand that death is not a real challenge in life.
8. What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
It is better to do research and organise funding before you jump into this because it can be frustrating.
9. What are your plans for the future?
I want to grow this business to areas where Doves does not have presence.
10. Would you do it again?
I want more of the branches if i will be allowed. Infact more branches are asking me to invest in their branches as they believe that I have marketing skills