Michelle Timmal, Kauai Franchisee Success Story
Franchisee name: Michelle Timmal
Franchise name: Kauai
Location of franchise: 117 Flanders Drive, Mount Edgecombe, Durban, KZN
1. Why did you go down the franchise route?
The security and support franchisees receive appealed to me. A franchise incorporates a tried and tested business model.
2. Why did you choose your franchise?
I’ve always been a huge fan of Kauai as I have a passion for the promotion of a healthier lifestyle, especially amongst children. Kauai’s menu appeals to every generation!
3. What did you do before taking up a franchise?
I was an educator, before becoming a full-time mum of two and assisting my husband in his business endeavours.
4. How did you raise the finance?
Through savings and loans from family members.
5. What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
I underwent two months of franchisee training and assessments. The training and upgrading of skills is constantly conducted via training workshops held by Kauai head office. I have received, and continue to receive a great deal of support from staff at the head office.
6. What is a typical day for you as a franchisee?
My day begins with dropping our children off at school, training at the gym, then getting to my store. I oversee all ordering of stock, administrative work, training of staff, cleaning and maintenance of the store, and everything else that needs attention on a daily basis.
7. What challenges have you faced?
Time management and dealing with a difficult staff member have been challenging.
8. Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
I’ve grown in confidence as a businesswoman, and feel that I’m better equipped to handle any type of business environment.
9. What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
Take a risk and believe in yourself! Look for a franchise that will give you constant support, in the way that Kauai supports it’s franchisees.
10. What are your plans for the future?
I hope to add to my franchise portfolio in the near future.
11. Would you do it again?