Kauai Franchise for Sale
- Initial franchise fee: R120 000 (Retail) / R70 000 (In Motion) excluding VAT
- Set up cost: R2.2 million (Retail) / R500 000 – R600 000 (In Motion) excluding VAT
- Deposit: We can only consider applicants who have a minimum 50% of the set up cost of the store unencumbered
- Training: Included in franchise fee for new franchisees only.
- Working capital: R50 000 (Retail) / R40 000 (In Motion)
- Total investment:
- Retail R2.375 million (depending on rental deposit) excluding VAT,
- R605 000 for In Motion (excluding VAT), plus cost of crew training prior to opening
- Royalty fee: 6% of turnover for Retail and In Motion stores
- Marketing fee: 4% of net sales (Retail) / 1.5% of net sales (In Motion)
Currently, we have four store concepts.
This is our high street / mall model that you will typically see at your local shopping centre, and going forward will include the customize option as seen in stores like Rosebank, Kloof Street and Cresta shopping centres.
Virgin Active health clubs. The first Kauai In Motion was opened in February 2003. This successful Kauai concept takes advantage of the healthy living facet of both Virgin Active and Kauai by tailor making a menu that is both functional for people at the gym balanced with the great tastes that Kauai has to offer. These stores have been specifically developed for trading with the limited volumes available within the health club environment.
This model is specifically for Virgin Active classic health clubs and incorporates a unique and service experience.
In keeping with our drive to educate and create awareness of healthy eating, this model gives selected schools who have bought into the concept of healthy eating for their students, a canteen environment with a menu in line with our values.
The ideal size for a Kauai retail store is between 80 – 200 square meters. In order to ensure consistency and reliability, we do require that franchisees purchase all raw materials, packaging etc. from approved suppliers. Exclusive territories are not given. However, it is not in our interest to open stores that would potentially damage any existing business. Key drives in evaluating and approving a site are surrounding demographics, the catchment area, traffic/feet concentration and visibility.
- Cornubia Mount Edgecombe In Motion (New – to open 30 Sept 2017)
- Chatsworth In Motion (New – to open 5 May 2018)
- Gateway Food Court (Existing)
- Gateway Wavehouse (Existing)
- Klerksdorp In Motion (Existing)
- Meyersdal In Motion (Existing)
- Rustenburg In Motion (Existing)
- Van der Bilj Park In Motion (Existing)
- Vereeniging In Motion (Existing)
- Carlswald In Motion (Existing)
- Rosebank (Existing)
- Melrose Arch (Existing)
- Benmore Gardens (Existing)
- Cedar Road Retail (Existing)
- Glen Vista In Motion (Existing)
- South Gate In Motion (Existing)
- Lenasia In Motion (Existing)
- Maponya In Motion (Existing)
- The Wedge Shopping Centre (New – to open)
- Reddam Bedfordview (Existing)
- Hatfield In Motion (Existing)
- Hatfield Retail (Existing)
- The Villas In Motion (New – to open)
- Wonderboom Junction In Motion (Existing)
- Cape Town
- Strand – The Sanctuary (Existing)
- Somerset Mall (Existing)
- Table Bay Mall In Motion (New – to open 28 Sept 2017)
- Tygervalley Retail (Existing)
- The Village Square Durbanville (New – to open Sept 2018)
- George In Motion (Existing)
- Thornhill In Motion (Existing)
- Peter Mokaba In Motion (Existing)
- Bloemfontein In Motion (New – to open June 2018)
- Northridge Mall In Motion (New – to open Apr 2018)
- Humewood In Motion (Existing)
- Lorraine In Motion (Existing)
- Greenacres Retail (Existing)
- Greenacres In Motion (New – to open 29 Jul 2017)
- Walmer Park Retail (Existing)
- Kimberley In Motion (New – to open
Training and Support
Each franchisee will be required to a mandatory 6 – 8 week training programme.
- We will assist with site selection, process and lease negotiations.
- We will give examples of store sales in similar environments (both franchise and corporate owned stores) and once open help evaluate your ongoing performance against those benchmarks.
- You will receive ongoing attention from our field support personnel, an opening task team to assist with getting you up and running as well as IT system support and ongoing IT systems development.
- In addition there is an operations manual that guides you on how to run the business.
- Procurement is also there to assist and continually monitor your theoretical food costs against those being achieved as well as working hard to improve food costs thru lengthy negotiations with suppliers.
Started by three Californian college friends, Kauai reached Cape Town in 1996. The Kauai management team have developed, invested in and built a chain of over 150 stores, which includes our “In Motion” model at the Virgin Active health clubs. Kauai is proud to be South Africa’s number one healthy casual dining restaurant chain. In February 2015 Kauai was acquired by Real Foods (Pty) Ltd, a multi-brand food group with unmatched dedication to healthy, natural food, innovation, social responsibility and integrity.
Kauai has been operating now for over 20 years, with the group structure now being under the multi brand food group, Real Foods (Pty) Ltd, with the mission to make healthy eating easy and accessible. At Kauai we are passionate about health and well-being, which means we bring to our customers real food that is, where possible, free of GMO’s and has no additives, preservatives, processing of any kind, artificial colorants and flavourants. We are aiming to inspire a ‘real food’ revolution in South Africa, where Kauai is the ‘better place’ to be. We make health and healthy eating accessible and exciting which is talking to the ever growing number of the South Africans who are becoming more and more aware of the benefits of healthy eating. Our current sales growth highlights this trend and we believe we are at the start of what will be a global change in the way people eat and are best placed in SA’s casual dining arena to benefit from this current and future aggressive growth. Our menu includes a variety of healthy breakfasts, super food smoothies, nutrient dense raw juices, signature wraps, salads, hot bowls and various meals as well as Barista brewed coffees and teas.
Please note that around 50% of the Kauai stores are owned by us, however our strategy is to grow via franchising. The corporate owned stores give us the firsthand experience of the effect of our decisions on the business model, and therefore assure franchisees that we are working hard on the overall system leading to better bottom line growth and not just sales growth.
A key criterion of our search is whether you will be involved in the business on a day to day basis. The most successful franchisees are those who are involved full time in the business. We are not looking for franchisees who want to invest in the store and not be involved in active management of their business.
- Previous experience in owning a business is not a must but a definite benefit
- Food service experience or profile that will lead us to believe you will manage
- Passionate, dynamic, and self-motivated
- Not afraid of long hours and hard work
- People orientated with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to learn and be a team player
No formal qualification is required although, in some instances, this may be an advantage. In summary, the franchisee must be an ‘owner operator’.
Role of the franchisee:
- General restaurant management work
- Personnel issues and training
- Customer care
- Restaurant maintenance
- Marketing to your community
- Financial management
- Correspondence with head office and coming to quarterly franchise meetings
- Managing compliance with all policies and procedures
- Team leadership