Kauai has Two Reasons To Celebrate!
Kauai has a double reason to celebrate! Not only is it our 21st Birthday but Kauai was recently awarded FASA’s Brand builder of the year award. This prestigious award identifies brands that, regardless of budget, have been highly innovative in leveraging their brands’ awareness and growth during the previous year.
Kauai is extremely proud of this recognition as it shows that the teething issues experienced in forging Kauai’s new corporate identity has been successful! In order to align the entire business with the new identity Kauai launched their HR values in April 2017. The values stemmed from the desire for the new management team to provide franchisees with a strong HR platform and improve staff retention. The launch was held in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg. All members of Kauai staff from franchisees, kitchen staff, managers and the executive committee attended. The day was bursting with excitement, energy and motivation and attendees left with a new outlook on their working life whether inside the office or the store.
In addition to the recent values launch, Kauai hosts a franchise day every quarter in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg. These days allow franchisees to discuss topics and review strategies with marketing, supply chain, franchise and IT departments.
Kauai has seen a great deal of growth this last year with two new store openings in Durban and four new franchisees joining the business:
- Michelle Timmal purchased Mount Edgecombe from the corporate department on 1 May 2017. She grabbed the opportunity with both hands and has already shown that being hands on has a great impact on staff morale and customer satisfaction.
- Rika Wolmarans took over Eden on the Bay on 1 June 2017. Her dedication was tested immediately as Cape Town was hit by a storm and sales were drastically impacted by the cold weather.
- Dean Franz, an existing franchisee expanded his portfolio and added an additional three stores to his current two stores.
- Wendy Coetsee, who owns the franchise for the Stellenbosch and Somerset West region extended her portfolio and took on The Sanctuary Virgin Active.
- Don Hill and Robbie Blomfield added to their 12 store strong portfolio with the acquisition of Hillcrest and Pavilion IM. Both sites are showing an increase in their monthly turn style figures.
Kauai has seen a tremendous increase in sales particularly in the revamped flagship stores such as Constantia, Rosebank and Camps Bay. Feedback from the public on the revamped look has been overwhelming positive and encouraging. All franchisees will finish their revamps before the end of 2017. Look out for the two new stores – Kauai Cornubia Mount Edgecombe and Table Bay Virgin Active – opening at the end of September 2017!