Dis-Chem franchise ticks all the boxes
Name: Brett Muzzell
Location: Cape Rd, Port Elizabeth
Franchise: Dis-Chem Cape Rd
Why I chose franchising
I had been looking for a business opportunity that best met the following criteria:
- A business that I could exploit my skills in, a business that I could be passionate about and where I could reach my full potential.
- Optimum profitability potential
- Reduced risk exposure
Dis-Chem ticked all these blocks for me.
What I did before taking up a franchise
I worked as a Purchasing Manager for SPAR Eastern Cape.
How I raised the finance
I had savings that I could invest and took out a loan through Dis-Chem.
The training and support I receive from my franchisor
The training and support I have enjoyed from Dis-Chem has been nothing short of incredible. I trained for 8 months in Dis-Chem stores prior to opening my own. A thorough and workable program was set up for me in line with my requirements where I had the opportunity to learn every facet of the business in preparation for opening.
Dis-Chem then helped me cover every base in preparation for opening. I enjoyed staff, systems, advertising, promotional and operational support prior, during and subsequent to opening.
The challenges I have faced
The challenges I have faced have been varied and diverse but probably my biggest challenge has been not being able to acquire a Pharmacy Licence to date.
My advice to someone thinking of buying their first franchise
If I may suggest the following:
- The franchisor needs to be a successful company
- Get information from other franchisees and be sure of the level of commitment, passion, enthusiasm and support given by the franchisor.
- Be fully aware of all possible risks
- Be sure of viability
- Be confident in the service/product that you will offer
- Make sure you have the right location
- Be prepared and willing to do hard work
My plans for the future
I hope in time to build up a successful business that benefits all with an invested interest in it.